POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : helix animation : Re: helix animation Server Time
20 Jul 2024 19:29:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: helix animation
From: Lothar Esser
Date: 23 Apr 2000 17:37:28
Message: <39036D18.3391859B@chop.swmed.edu>
Hi there,

Bob Hughes wrote:

> Neat-o.  No idea how you did the turbulent colors.  I would have thought it
> was done with 'blob' components which have individual textures, but I've
> never seen the boundaries anything but smooth.

Do you mean the colors on the surface ? The surface consists of individual triangles
(14492) and was generated by a molecular graphics program GRASP. The colors on the
surface outline the contributions of certain types of atoms to the surface. i.e.
white surface area = CB atoms etc. ( This is why it looks a bit odd. It is
delibrately not smoothed ).  In the animation the filter value of
the colors of the surface was varied from 0 to 1 and back while at the same time
white was added
to the color up to 80 % to make the surface really transparent in the middle of the
animation.

> This animation could be better if made more loopable, the sky being what's
> causing it not to be.

'Loopable' meaning  a full rotation of the sky so that one would not see the
begining/end of the animation ? I tried this but the sky is just way to fast for 45
frames. I tried a still sky with clouds forming and disappearing but I had trouble
with this too because I did not want to 'undo' exactly what was done. Anyhow I agree
the sky is not too good. I have not used 'extra' things in povray alot
before - only molecules and surfaces but rarely planes ( floor ) let alone sky !

> You might try to 'phase' the 'color_map' instead of
> rotate the sky at all.  Hmmm, but then it wouldn't be turning... oh well, I don't
> have any other ideas.

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate this.

Lothar.